Monday, December 3, 2012

Another Gift


Author's Note: This is a piece written to demonstrate my understanding of the skill prediction.  This is what I think is going to happen after the end of the short story "The Gift of the Magi."

It was Christmas time once again and this time Della had managed to save $10 to buy a gift for Jim.  She knew exactly what she was going to buy him.  Despite the fact that they had both given up their most prized possessions to buy a gift for each other last year, this year Della was determined to buy Jim something amazing.  By this time Della's hair had grown a little bit longer and both Della and Jim were happy.  Della set out to find what she knew Jim wanted the most; his old watch.  After many weeks of searching, Della finally found the watch.  She begged the man for the watch, offered him money for it, even offered him a new one, but the man wouldn't give up the watch.  Della began to wonder why this man wanted this watch so much.  "Sir, may I ask, what does this watch mean to you?  It is just like any other watch, except for the fact that it has been handed down for generations though my family.  My husband, that watch means the world to him, and he means the world to me.  Please sir, please."  Della held out the 10 dollar bill towards the man.  The man looked around frantically before giving in.  "This watch means a lot to me too ma'am. There is something you don't know about me..."  A look of confusion crossed Della's face.  "What are you trying to say?" Della asked slowly trying to put it all together.  The man continued, "I am trying to say that.....well...um...This watch is a part of my family too.  Jim is my older brother but I was born after he was out of the house and was adopted my aunt and uncle when my parents died 5 years later."  Della stood  right where she was and didn't move as she took in this information.  A few minutes later Della began to speak "So even Jim doesn't know you exist?" The man said "I don't think he knows, ma'am."  Della asked yet another question "What is your name?"  "Eddie, ma'am, my name is Eddie."  the man answered.  "Eddie." Della pondered.  "Yes ma'am." Eddie reassured her  "How would you like to join us for Christmas dinner, Eddie?"  " I would like that very much ma'am."  

I think that this is going to happen because when Jim sold the watch, it was very old.  Even though it was Jim and Della's prized possession, it was an old watch and the only way someone would buy it is if it had some meaning to them.  Also they didn't mention anything about their families during the story, so maybe his family is very disconnected as I showed through this story.  Another reason I think this might happen is because Della would want Jim to be able to use the gift she got him last year and she loves him enough to track down his watch.  Lastly, I thought this would happen because there needs to be a way for the story to bring itself together and connect to the first part.

1 comment:

  1. I thought this was a great well written piece. I liked the twist ant the end. I thought you had good evidence in the end paragraph.

    ReplyDelete